About the Planetary Solutions Project
The Planetary Solutions Project aims to raise awareness of climate and biodiversity work across Yale, and to spark new approaches. It aspires to connect people whose ideas, when combined, might unlock novel solutions. And as part of the project, we will lead by example, using our campus as a laboratory to implement the best technologies, policies, and ideas.
Yale’s Approach to Climate Change
Research & Teaching
We are marshalling energy and resources to bring the full weight of Yale’s expertise to bear on global environmental crises. Expanded research and teaching are the heart of this effort to develop solutions that match the scale and complexity of the challenges at hand.
We are committing our campus operations to emit zero greenhouse gases by 2050. We will invest in established and emerging technologies and transition to renewable energy sources as rapidly as possible. This will require large-scale investments in our buildings, equipment, and technology.
We have adopted investment principles through which Yale can encourage fossil fuel producers to adopt more sustainable practices and advance the shift to a decarbonized energy future—and to call out and make ineligible for investment by Yale those companies that do not.
- Develop sustainable methods of carbon capture and storage
- Discover transformative and scalable energy alternatives
- Stem the destruction of vulnerable and diverse ecosystems
- Facilitate evolutionary responses to environmental change
- Design adaptation strategies based on Earth-system, economic, and public health forecasting
- Understand and address impacts to human health
- Lead by example
- Convene the leaders of today and teach the leaders of tomorrow
- Advance public understanding of global environmental threats and solutions
- Advocate for the vulnerable and promote environmental justice
Connecting Yale’s Leading Experts
The Planetary Solutions symposium drew together leading Yale voices from every school and across disciplines—from the natural sciences and engineering, humanities and social sciences, the arts, business, and law—to share work, identify emerging issues, and make productive connections.
A Legacy of Environmental Research, Engagement, and Leadership
Yale has a long history of excellence in research and leadership related to climate, biodiversity, and health. That history gives us confidence that we can make a powerful impact on the future. Learn more about the ways we’ve already made a difference and how the Planetary Solutions Project began.